Week 9
Out of all the security tools and methodologies we have talked about thus far, I think the computer forensic tools that can be used to trace the steps of an attacker are by far the coolest.
Particularly, tools that allow the copying of an entire disk bit by bit including the ‘blank’ sections (which may have some ‘deleted’ data that has just been marked as able to be overwritten by the OS but not actually deleted yet) and other tools that can dump the contents of RAM to investigate fileless viruses.
These types of programs always make me think of the constant
cat and mouse game attackers and defenders are playing amongst themselves.
Particularly, someone had the genius idea to not leave any evidence by running
a malware in RAM which could not be picked up by hard drive scanners, so we
started scanning RAM as well.
I wonder what the mouse will do next, some predictions I have are part of the
malware designed to detect these scanning tools and either deleting themselves
or shutting down the OS as quick as possible to remove all evidence.
Comments
Post a Comment